7/12/09

Saturday Progress Report

Yes, there has been progress!  I'm about a 1/3 of the way through a chapter book. When I get stuck on a big project, I often switch to a smaller one, sometimes a much smaller one such as a poem or very short story. Why? 1. sometimes switching genres .. say from a mg novel to a short funny poem dekinks my brain 2. When I feel frustrated over not being able to work through a story point, I can be encouraged by working out something smaller. "See you did THAT, now go do the other." Maybe it's something like doing Soduku puzzles to exercise your brain before you tackle quantum physics or something. 

This afternoon I'll be meeting with my local critique group. It's been awhile since all five of us could be together. 


4 comments:

  1. Hi Lill - yes, I do this also. If I'm stuck, I'll work on something else. It's like we have to trick our brains into getting something accomplished, and then we get freed up. Sometimes I work on long manuscripts during the winter, and short ones during the busy summer, when I'd rather be outside. We all find our own rhythms as writers - and that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! Hope you have a splendid day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the very same thing, Lill! Working on a poem almost always helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very true, Lill. Actually, when I switch from NF to F, I write bad little poems. But it works.

    ReplyDelete