1/28/09

Thoughts on Free Verse

There is more
to writing a verse novel
than making
wonky
line 
breaks.
                                         You


        can                      even                  have           fun
                  with                       your                tab
                                                 key

However,
if you take out all the extra line breaks and spaces
and all
you have
is an ordinary paragraph.
Then you do not have verse.
You
have 
creative
ty
pi
ng
skills.

More tomorrow.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Exactly. Not enough folks "get" that point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading a book in "verse" told in multiple viewpoints. It was straight prose -- -with line breaks --- and not even ones that had any artistic literary purpose. It was just broken up to "look" like poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and it wasn't written by anyone I know, in case anyone is worrying that I'm talking about them .. but I'm not givng the title ...

    I think it worked because it was told by ... gosh I don't know .. eight different people or more ... ten? LOTS. It probably wouldn't have worked well any other way.

    ReplyDelete